Sunday, September 20, 2009

Here is a post from Mark Ryden


The photo was taken at the opening of Mark's Tree Show, 2007. Jon, Janice and Mark.


Dearest Jon and Janice,

Your e-mail came in while Marion and I were visiting Seattle. I am shocked
beyond words to here the news. I find myself at a total loss of knowing
what to say. I am so so sorry. I can't imagine how hard this must be for
you guys and what you must be feeling. How are you handling it all? How is
Brent?

Janice, I don't know if I have ever told you just how much of an impact you
had on me at Art Center. You and your art set my creativity on fire back
then. I remember the first day of your class when you had us make masks.
You made art such fun! When you first showed your amazing dimensional
assemblages I was forever transformed and inspired. It is hard to describe
the feelings your art gave me. When ever I use a hot glue gun the smell
brings me back to those days of making art late at night in a delirium of
creative ecstasy! You would tell me how much more rewarding a life of making
fine art would be than doing commercial art and rendering strawberries. It
took me ten years to finally follow your advice but I thought about it the
whole time I was doing commercial art! (I guess it's ok to also tell you to
that I had a total crush on you back then too!)

I also want to thank you so much for your support and coming to my shows. It
is always so nice to see you guys.

Please write back to me if you feel up to it. I would love to hear how you
are doing. It must be really tough to correspond with everyone. I will be
checking in on the blog.

I send my love and best thoughts to you guys!

Mark

2 comments:

  1. What great message from Mark. You have inspired so many!

    I also wanted to let you know how much you have inspired so many of us at GCAC. We had a board meeting tonight and spoke about your work and your book that we will fundraise for and produce. The board members and GCAC staff all send their best wishes to you and Jon. We love you both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jon and family,

    Just wanted to share with you that Janice was a true treasure. She was a beautiful gift to all of us who knew her. Her memories will always remain like a brilliant star.

    In life, we all have a guardian angel. Our angel is always with us when we need them most. Her cowboy came to walk with her on the journey we will all take.

    We share your sense of loss.

    Love,
    Patty and Vaughn

    ReplyDelete